Pages

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Challenge Time!

My life revolves around music. There is always a song in my head, even when music isn't playing. My tastes are extremely varied, from country to rap to Christian. Basically, if it's good music with good lyrics, I'll listen. 

It occurred to me today, while listening to music at work, I realized that only the heavier genres explicitly address self-injury. (At least in my experience. If you know of other songs that do, please leave me the info in the comments!!) However, the songs that I know of that address self-injury and its common causes, such as depression and abuse, do not do so in a positive or helpful way. Some even glorify it. Take these lyrics from Eminem's version of "Love the Way You Lie," which addresses abuse, for example:

I apologize, even though I know it's liesI'm tired of the games, I just want her back, I know I'm a liarIf she ever tries to f****n' leave again, I'ma tie her to the bedAnd set this house on fire

Just gonna stand there and watch me burn?Well that's alright because I like the way it hurtsJust gonna stand there and hear me cry?Well that's alright because I love the way you lieI love the way you lieI love the way you lie

We can quibble over whether or not this is a good song. I do appreciate its rhythm for sure, and it's a pretty realistic window into a mutually abusive relationship, in my limited experience. But I think it's pretty clear that the "characters" in the song are not moving toward a healthy relationship. (Lies, arson, murder, acceptance of those things...Yup! Sounds healthy to me!)

So, here's my two-fold challenge to you:
  1. Find me songs about depression, self-injury, or related topics that deal with the subjects in a positive way. Leave the details in the comments below!
  2. If you're so inclined, write a song and publish it to Youtube and share the link with us in the comments!
  3. (I know, I said two, you can deal with it) Remember to leave me comments about the things that make your life worth living.

*All comments are moderated, so if you want to leave a comment just for me, I can absolutely read it without publishing it! (Just leave me your contact info so I can respond.)

No comments: