Pages

Friday, March 8, 2013

"Coming Out" as a Self Injurer

Today, I confessed my depression and self-injury to my parents because I wanted to be able to be open about them in this and other outreach/ministry opportunities. It was the most nerve-wracking thing I have ever done. And they didn't even react, except to tell me, when they left a few hours later, that they would keep it in prayer. In some ways, I'm glad. It means that they aren't reacting out of fear, anger, or pain. Instead, they are letting it sink in. I do hope that they will ask questions later, if they need clarification, but I'm not sure they will.

Regardless, I've done my part. All I can do is tell them about it, tell them that I'm recovering, and leave it at that. They are aware and so I can have my ministry in public without fear of their claiming it hurt to hear it from someone else. That's all I needed. I am not responsible for their feelings, thoughts, or actions. Only for mine.

Please remember that, if and when you tell people, you cannot control how they react, and how they react does not say anything about you - only about them.

No comments: