Pages

Friday, March 22, 2013

Coping

Let's be honest. For those of us attempting to recover from various forms of self-injury (eating disorders included), some days aren't about getting better, they're about making it through. However, I urge you to choose your coping mechanisms carefully.

Here are my rules for selecting coping mechanisms:

  1. It cannot be another form of self-harm. A friend, with totally good intentions, suggested once that I snap myself with rubber bands. To me, this is nothing more than another, albeit less likely to scar, form of self-injury.
  2. It cannot be potentially dangerous to others. I used to drive fast, really fast, down back roads. The danger to myself would never keep me from doing it. However, the potential danger to others was enough to stop me.
  3. It must be reasonable. While skydiving would probably be an awesome way of coping, I can't go do it at the drop of a hat.
  4. It must not be regrettable. I love tattoos. I have one and I have two more planned. However, getting a tattoo as a coping mechanism is setting yourself up to become addicted to tattoos as a method of self-injury. Plus, spur of the moment tattoos are nearly always regrettable. If you want them, plan them out well in advance and get them when you're calm.
  5. If at all possible, it should be constructive. For example, if I can cope by painting, writing, volunteering, or getting something off my to-do list, I do. This way, you not only cope but do something positive in the process.
  6. When possible, it should be something that naturally helps lift depression. I work out, which releases endorphins, or go tanning, which gives me a boost of vitamin D. 


Have other rules for choosing coping mechanisms or suggestions for positive methods of coping? Leave them in the comments or message me if you know me off the blog!

No comments: