Pages

Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Think Happy Thoughts

As I've mentioned before, I have a tumblr account in addition to this blog. It is not only another place for me to encounter and hopefully help others who struggle, but also a blog where I can feel free to write my "in the moment" thoughts, even the darkest ones.

First, I encourage all of you to have a place to express those thoughts, whether it is in talking with a trusted friend, writing it on a blog or in a journal, or in prayer. (Or all of the above - just don't get stuck in thinking that way.) There is something cathartic about expressing your dark thoughts. The trick is to release them once they're expressed. I confess, I have trouble with that, too, which is where step two comes in....

Second, reblog, like, repost, post, jot down, hang on your mirror, say to others, say to yourself, and firmly believe whatever positive thoughts you can. I say this because I've noticed that, particularly on tumblr, we all tend to reblog those negative thoughts that we identify with. (I'm just as guilty as the next person.) And while it's important to express your suicidal thoughts or fears about the future, it is also important not to let them linger (see number one). Try posting positive things on Facebook, tumblr, twitter, whatever you use, and watch it spread. Not only will you find yourself feeling a little more positive, you'll see others begin to like and repost your positivity, too.

No comments: