Pages

Monday, March 11, 2013

You're Not Alone

I can't lie to you all. Today has been an extremely tough day. One of those "feeling extremely triggered for no particular reason" kind of days. What got me through was remembering that I'm not alone.

In the very brief time that I've been sharing my story with others, I've discovered that two friends also struggle/have struggled with self injury and one other friend has attempted suicide. Not to mention all of the tumblr followers I've gained who struggle with the same things.

When I'm feeling triggered, I feel even more different from my "normal" friends than usual, so it's useful to remember that there are people who do understand what I'm feeling. These are people who I can go to when I'm struggling, because they understand what I need. However, I do think we, as a mental health community, need to work to better educate the neurotypicals (those who do not suffer these issues) so that they are better able to help us when we struggle.

What would you tell the "normal" or "neurotypical" people in your life if you had the chance?

No comments: